Thursday, June 15, 2006

Unintentional Backhanded Compliments

Ever get compliments, with a nice backhanded spin unintentionally? Funny 'cause I got one this morning from my mother. It was funny, because I dont think she understood.

Sarah went to a birthday party Sunday, for a 9 year old girl, who's mom is also in the same karate studio as my mother(one my wife went to as well) and another karate mom there too(all I think are various blackbelt degrees).

So I walk into my parents house early this morning to pick up the truck, and my mom's in the kitchen and says "everyone was raving how well behaved Sarah was. They couldnt believe how well she acts [i] for an only child[/i]."

*blink* so I just look at mom, and then she replies "well you know because only children tend not to have siblings and learn to share and get along and learn all those items."

Ok mom, thanks for the compliment. I guess......

7 Comments:

Blogger 34quinn said...

LOL...
hey, your mom takes karate ? or teaches it? cool.
I am a karate mom in case you didn't know ..my boys are martial artists and my youngest is going to be going for his black belt grading in less than 2 weeks. My older son is a brown belt also but has taken a break from karate while we work on braces.
They have been in karate for just under 7 years.
Catch you later.

10:39 AM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

Yes on the mom. She's almost 60, but she's a 3rd degree black belt...teaches and takes.

The mrs is brown, but has dropped due to time constraints. Sarah is going to go when she gets older...

10:51 AM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger happykat said...

not a bad post for a wise-acre!

signed,
a seriously-jealous-about-the-karate-stuff kat

4:10 PM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger 34quinn said...

Karate is an awesome sport. What I love alot about it is firstly it is year round. Also unless you want to become competative ( which we are) it is very very affordable.
Mainly every thing that you learn in karate will help you in your daily life, both physically, mentally , and spiritually.
KARATE ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7:55 PM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger happykat said...

well, I do know katrate.
Does that count?

2:34 PM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger Nikki said...

Carmen, I used to get the same kind of thing when my daughter went places - the exact same.

I've always been very lucky with Lauren. I never had to teach her how to share - she just did it.

And her knowing how to behave - like your Sarah, comes from a good home life.

I used to hate the "for an only child" stuff cause half the time the moms giving me the compliments had little heathens I wanted to beat the crap out of.

10:31 PM, June 18, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

yes, nikki there are many heathens that need a good smack on the bottom......just go to McDonald's with a playground and you'll find them easy...

Funny thing is, the one karat mom who complimented my mother has 3 kids, 2 of which are a bit hellish, but the way she deals with them is more to blame. If you yell at them, their going tio yell back adn copy what you do....

9:09 AM, June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home