Thursday, July 27, 2006

I let my child drive a car

Inspired by http://othejoys.blogspot.com/2006/07/so-big.html ,oh the joy's story of her little boy, I thought I tell you about Sarah's adventures.

Much like Joy's little one, Sarah went through they "I'm not a baby anymore. I'm BIG girl." phase, and then asked "When can I drive?"

I said, when she asked a couple months ago "How about now."

So I taught her the basics of driving. Since I have an older car, with no air bags, its a snap to let her sit on my lap, and drive. Obviously she cant work the pedals(yet), so I work the gas and brake and let her steer down the driveway. She does very well. Hasn't hit our house or the neighbors, nor any fences or even driven off the driveway yet. I think she's almost ready for a parking lot.

And its great to drop in a conversation from one of THOSE parents. You parents know who I'm talking about. That parent, who's child can do no wrong, is so advanced that they know how to read before walking, who's going to be the next Einstein, Mark Maguire, Michael Jackson, Jeffrey Dohmer.......You know the one.

That parent "My child can do his multiplication tables, and he's not even in preschool."

Me: "My child can drive a car."

That parent "What?"


It throws them for a loop. Of course there is a BIG down side to teaching her how to drive. In her words:

Sarah "Daddy, now that I know how to drive, when can I get my own car?"

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah!

If I call my oldest a baby or even a boy, he starts in his "I told you this before" voice "I'm a BIG boy, papa."

So, of course, I tease him constantly. My youngest is 18 months old, can say 4-5 words. He calls him older brother "baybee", just to tease him.

Just fun to be had..

Stephane

3:09 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

Learn charlie, to be polite. Others my like your blog writing, but I dont. Keep your crap to yourself on my home turf. I dont piss in your well, dont piss in mine.


Stephane:

Aw, how cute. The sibling teasing has already started....

4:45 PM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that takes the whole cute kid copying Daddy with her own pretend steering wheel to a new level...

Haze

5:58 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

yes, yes it does. thanks haze

6:20 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

I hope I'm not charlie! :)

I'm reporting you to CPS by the way. Juuuuuuuuuuust kidding.

6:44 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

Nice testosterone surge by the way. I was impressed. Maybe you're not a woman blogger pretending to be a man afterall. Hee hee.

6:46 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

Be careful blessed, or I'll report YOU for letting your child play with razors......*grin*

Not, I deleted said offending post. Its someone who retired from his own blog, but apparantly doesnt have any warm fuzzy feelings for me....and carried over a spirited conversation from anotehr blog here....

6:59 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

Inta-resting. Glad to know I'm not charlie.

I'm asking any and all nice people to post on my blog Sat-Wed while I endure my in-laws being in town. I need all the friendly faces I can get while they're here. Ugh!

So don't forget me.

9:43 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

I'll be there for you for your inlaws from hell!

10:14 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

Yay!

10:52 PM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Nikki said...

I've done the same with Lauren. She's getting to big to sit in my lap while she steers now. LOL

I've already told her that she has to be 30 before I'll let her have her own car. LOL

9:32 AM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

Hey! I just noticed my blog was listed on yours. Thanks!

Any chance it's easy enough for me to set up one of those things listing other blogs? I've been wanting to do that for a while.

4:52 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

Your welcome.

Its easy once you do it. I'm no expert, so if anyone else wants to pip in:

go to your dashboard, where it has your posts and new post. Above has a couple of tabs, click on the 'Template' one.

What pops up next is a bunch of HTML page. Almost to the end your looking for :

(MainOrArchivePage)
(h2 class="sidebar-title">Links(/h2)

Yours will say google and edit me. A link looks like:

(li)(a href="http://happykat812.blogspot.com/">One crazy lady(/a)(/li)


replace all they () with <>

7:07 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

I say replace all the () with <> because I'm not allowed to do HTML in the comments section.

7:08 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger Kathryn Craven said...

i got into my first car accident when i was younger than yours due to releasing the dashboard emergency brake on a hill. it was a standard and my 80 year-old g'ma leaned over to press the clutch and break just as we hit the wall. i cried. things have gone up since then. i don't cry anymore.

2:20 AM, July 29, 2006  
Blogger happykat said...

I could swear I posted on this!

Anyhoo, this is frightening. I know I told you to have another kid while you could, but I'm starting to think better of it.

The sidewalks will never be safe again!
:}

5:57 PM, July 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home