Friday, June 23, 2006

I'm such a terrible father

It's always amusing on how you deal with a kids stalling behavior. My wife has her methods that work for her, but I take a different tact.

My daughter has a HUGE imagination(like daughter, like father I think). Its always fun to feed her imagination. Like when she askes things like "how did you do that?", my usual answer is a smile and a reply of "magic". Its so great when she gets that wonder in her voice when she replies "magic?" yes honey, magic.

Lately her response has become "*I* have magic too" and she proceeds to wave her hands and recite magic words(like alacazzam and a few others).....


BUT.

It also leads into her stalling for some things. Like bedtime tonight. First its, "I'm not tired" which the response is, "too bad, its bed time". Her response is "But that's not fair"(ah already that's starting), which the response is "life's not fair, deal with it."

Then the imagination comes into play. "Daddy, I'm scared." Why sweetie? "because of the flashing lights"(there are none). My response is that its a car going by.

"Nooooo daddy, it was red and green flashing lights."

Oh really? Here we go....."Well sweetie, THOSE lights belong to the Santa patrol car, checking on good little boys and girls, to see if their sleeping in their beds."

Sarah "Oh."

"So you need to go to sleep right now, so when he comes back with his red and green flashing lights, you need to be asleep so he knows."

Sarah "Ok daddy, good night...."


I'm so bad......

7 Comments:

Blogger Baby Steps said...

haha thats a good one.. santa's patrol car.. *giggle* .. must use that one some time..
... we have white ghosts in our tv's and monsters in the central air vents, we just use our monster spray though and that takes care of that.:)

7:15 AM, June 24, 2006  
Blogger 34quinn said...

Oh, i have a much worse one....
I am sure you have heard the expression "i am gonna unscrew your belly button and make your bum fall off".. we used to joke with the kids about that....
well...my young son , decided that sounded like agreat idea and said he was going to take a screwdriver and unscrew some kids belly button....

well, we couldnt let that happen so of course...instead of telling the child this was not fact and just an expression....noooooooo....I decided to make it more of a lie.....I told him that when you are born your belly button comes from the umbilical cord that attaches to the mommy...well..after you are born ..they use that umbilical cord to make the "UMBILTOOL" ...(humour me i was thinking fast)...anyways..the umbilitool will only work on the belly button for each specific person. not on anyone elses...
lucky for me he did not ask to see it..and I thought I had dodged a bullet....
until about a week later he came home from school and said they were going to start talking about where babies come from the next day and he couldn't wait to tell them all about the "UMBILITOOL"....omg ..bad mom...I really had to back track ..and did in fact tell the truth ...said it was all just a silly story ..etc.etc..

( but i have to admit it was a really good story almost believable..we still laugh about the umbilitool)....

5:12 PM, June 24, 2006  
Blogger Litzi said...

Hi Carmachu,
“I’m such a terrible father”; huh? I think you’re exceedingly creative and quick to come up with a Santa story to explain the imaginary red and green flashing lights to Sarah. In my estimation, that’s a “very good father”. Way to go, Dad!

6:07 PM, June 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quick thinking, man.

ed

8:37 PM, June 24, 2006  
Blogger carmachu said...

Quinn: *snicker* as they say in cartoons, and now you know. Never tell lies that come back to bite you in the rear.....thats too funny....

Miss litzi: thanks....

8:50 AM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger Nikki said...

Santa' patrol car! I love it.

I used to threaten to call Santa when Christmas was approaching to get her to behave with our arguement (my child would argue with a brick wall)

One day she came back with the response of "You can't call him! You don't have his phone number."

So I quickly called my mother, got her hubby on the phone and being the good egg that he is, played along.

I didn't have any more problems until after the new year. LOL

2:19 PM, June 25, 2006  
Blogger happykat said...

Whoa. I've told some doosies lke that.

Thumbs up, I say.

4:04 PM, June 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home