Sunday, February 04, 2007

And now for a serious moment

As serious moment, news article(a PSA for some of you folks out there, especially TX)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/...ervical_cancer

AUSTIN - Gov. Rick Perry ordered Friday that schoolgirls in Texas must be vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer, making Texas the first state to require the shots.

The girls will have to get Merck & Co.'s new vaccine against strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV, that are responsible for most cases of cervical cancer.

Merck is bankrolling efforts to pass laws in state legislatures across the country mandating it Gardasil vaccine for girls as young as 11 or 12. It doubled its lobbying budget in Texas and has funneled money through Women in Government, an advocacy group made up of female state legislators around the country.

Details of the order were not immediately available, but the governor's office confirmed to The Associated Press that he was signing the order and he would comment Friday afternoon has several ties to Merck and Women in Government. One of the drug company's three lobbyists in Texas is Mike Toomey, his former chief of staff. His current chief of staff's mother-in-law, Texas Republican state Rep. Dianne White Delisi, is a state director for Women in Government.Toomey was expected to be able to woo conservative legislators concerned about the requirement stepping on parent's rights and about signaling tacit approval of sexual activity to young girls. Delisi, as head of the House public health committee, which likely would have considered legislation filed by a Democratic member, also would have helped ease conservative opposition.

Perry also received $6,000 from Merck's political action committee during his re-election campaign.

It wasn't immediately clear how long the order would last and whether the legislation was still necessary. However it could have been difficult to muster support from lawmakers who champion abstinence education and parents' rights.

Perry, a conservative Christian who opposes abortion rights and stem-cell research using embryonic cells, counts on the religious right for his political base.

But he has said the cervical cancer vaccine is no different than the one that protects children against polio.

"If there are diseases in our society that are going to cost us large amounts of money, it just makes good economic sense, not to mention the health and well being of these individuals to have those vaccines available," he said.

Texas allows parents to opt out of inoculations by filing an affidavit stating that he or she objected to the vaccine for religious or philosophical reasons.

Even with such provisions, however, conservative groups say mandates take away parents' rights to be the primary medical decision maker for their children.

The federal government approved Gardasil in June, and a government advisory panel has recommended that all girls get the shots at 11 and 12, before they are likely to be sexually active.

The New Jersey-based drug company could generate billions in sales if Gardasil — at $360 for the three-shot regimen — were made mandatory across the country. Most insurance companies now cover the vaccine, which has been shown to have no serious side effects.

Merck spokeswoman Janet Skidmore would not say how much the company is spending on lobbyists or how much it has donated to Women in Government. Susan Crosby, the group's president, also declined to specify how much the drug company gave.

A top official from Merck's vaccine division sits on Women in Government's business council, and many of the bills around the country have been introduced by members of Women in Government
-------------------------------------------------

Shall we list the reasons why this is incredibly bad?

Drug company lobbying HARD with money to make a new drug mandatory(who's long term side effectaren'tnt exactly known yet). Oh wait, you caofop out....if you go get aaffidavitit. So I have to make my parental choices in legalease now?

Further more....No thiisn'tnt like polio. You may only get the virus via sex, not through human wastcontaminantsts....

Look, I'm now prude...Butut a new drug on the market that you have to worry about the long term(10 years, 20 years from nowaren'tnt exactly know..Andnd a drug company pushing hard for and getting mandatory is scary. I would need aaffidavitit to NOT allow it in my child? Huh?

And you can get it until your 26.So if I decide its bad for my girl..Shehe can make up her own mind in 20 years...

I dont care if you want it for yourselves or your girls. I have no problems if you make it voluntary. But keep your hands off my kid...

Watch your backs folks....that concludes today's PSA.

30 Comments:

Blogger St Jude said...

I am disgusted by this. I understand their motives... some more than others, but everyone should have a choice, an easy choice. The ability to 'opt' in for this vaccination as opposed to having to 'opt' out.

2:35 PM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi carmachu.....

Exactly...I am completely okay with my kids receiving the usual "proven" shots Ie) polio vaccine...

I have never ever allowed for them to have a flu shot..I understand that if someone has other health issues that would be complicated severely if they get the flu that they might wish to have added protection..but the flu shot does not guarantee you wont get the flu...so ...duh...we don't get it.
I am also a firm believer in building up your own bodies immune system.
I am not a big hand sanitizer user..but I believe in wash your hands with soap and water when you have to. Your own body needs to have exposure to certain germs in order to build your immune system..

As for this ...First of all it will likely never make it to mandatory level..simply for the reasons you have already expressed....
They do not know anything about long term effect and the whole thing is just mumbo jumbo ....we need funding so lets come up with a new drug...

I also prefer my children drink pop that is not diet when they have the choice..we all know what sugar does to the body and we all know the long term effects of too much.. what we do not know are the long term effects of aspertane etc...and you know for the sake of a pound or two I might put on ..I would rather take my chances with the effects of sugar..than the possible unknown affects on my body,organs, etc from chemical aspertaine....

my name is quinn and that has been my rant for today...

come on over to my page and do something nice for a sweet little boy...

2:39 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

I dont. Ok I do....money is the bottom line adn good that might be of the drug.

But thats between me, my wife and our kids doctor. Everyone else keep your hands off....

Yeah, having to actually get an affidavit to exercise parental rights is scary....

Funny how merck isnt disclosing how much the donated to women's groups or lobbying effort...

2:39 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

"As for this ...First of all it will likely never make it to mandatory level..simply for the reasons you have already expressed...."

Quinn, reread the article. Its ALREADY being ready to sign mandatory by the govenor of Texas.
You can opt out IF you get the affidavit....but that shouldnt be how it is.

Flu shot: your right, you have the control....and its your right. We do, Doctor thinks its fine.

You're like me: I look at our immune system like a muscle...the more its used, the stronger it gets.

Dont worry, I'll be there.

2:42 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Nicole said...

Yeah, we are in Texas and I am not happy about this. I'm waiting to see what is really going to happen with this.

4:07 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Good to know you know Nicole....I have a friend with 4 girls in TX and she's blown her stack over this....she'll move first before mandatory. Her school is horrible....and doesnt think even an affidavit would be good enough in her school(it took 2-4 years to get her kid moved to advance classes...)

Good luck!

4:10 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Baby Steps said...

while I do agree with some govt reg's , such as the ban on trans fats, I DONT agree with this one. This should be a parent decision, especially since it is a brand new drug. But I have to say, having a friend with this very cancer that may have been prevented with this I will get my dd vaccinated when the time comes, and if I wasnt an old fart I would get it for myself BUT that would me my decision and no one elses.

4:25 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Exactly babysteps...and I'm fine with that. You want it for you and yous? Feel free.

But I shouldnt have to get a legal affidavit to keep governmental hands off my kids...if I should decide no.

Currently, its no. Too new, and with the drug company spreading money to push it to mandtory with op out(legal document) that tips the scales to no...

4:39 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

I think we need to do away w/ lobbyists. I can't stand them.

4:39 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

I agree with you there terri....its about the bottom line for them, not for whats good for us...

4:42 PM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carm.

.I did read it..it sounds like it hasn't completely been made mandatory yet..is what I meant...They have not crossed all their T's and dotted all the i's .....there will be alot of public outcry about it I am sure.

But hey, you know..you could just move to Canada, the great white north!!!

4:59 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Its on its way to mandatory....The govenor plans on making it so.

Oh yeah, I want to, then I'll have to learn to say "eh" or whatever it is you wacky canadians say....

5:01 PM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you would love it hear carm..seriously...

yes, we say eh....sounds like "A"...apparently according to my american pals that I speak with ....when i say about ....it sounds like a boot.....
other than that ..dunno what else I do wrong lol..or funny ..

7:03 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

What else you do funny? Quite a bit, according to your husband....

that sounds like a dying moose....

7:56 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

I heard that many parents are fearing it will condone premarrital sex. While I think that is a stretch, I agree with you about the shot. It should be your decision for your children!

8:02 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

I hear that too....its every parent has a reason. I dont agree with that logic either. *shrug* but its their kid.

In the end, no parent should have to go get a legal document to say no to something like this.

8:06 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Amie Adams said...

I'm all for advances in women's health...but anything bankrolled by the drug companies makes me just a bit nervous.

And to top it off, a social conservative like Perry going for it???? Has to be BIG money involved!!

12:33 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

You seem to get it mamma. I cant count the number of people who say "hey it'll save people's lives. Whats the big deal?"

But when its pushed through and governmental influence is bought.....yeah it makes me nervous too...

7:20 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger Mary said...

Yet another Texas decision based on the sour aftertaste of the Bush twins.

Seriously, this is a HORRIBLE piece of legislation. I wish Molly Ivins were still alive to weigh in on it.

What's next? Mandatory breast augmentation? Manatory treatment for genital warts? Every boy in school to get a routine course of penicillin at the age of 12 for phantom gonorrhea? C'mon!

Let's not stop there. How about if we tell parents what they can read to their kids and what kind of car they are to drive and what type of music they can let their kids listen to. If they object, they have to fill out a form to OPT OUT.

F***ing nonsense. F***ing Texas nonsense.

8:28 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

AS much as Bush bashing is fun for some Mary.....I cant lay this at his feet.

Its a drug company that appears to have bought enough influence with not only government folks...but a women's group as well.

You know whats funny? I hear some of the smae women's groups saying "keep your hands off our uterus" when it comes to abortion....But I guess its not the case when it comes to theri cervix?

I'm with you on the outrage....its sorta why its posted here on my blog...

Here's something else someone pointed out: you have to fill out a affidavit on religous of philosphoical reasons.....which implys someone will read it and possibly reject your reasons? Thats even scarier...

9:07 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger Deb said...

hmmmm Sorry carm I am so not with you here. We MAKE parents get their children vaccinations to go to public school. MMR shots have benn PROVEN to onset Autism yet you still HAVE to vaccinate your child to go to public school. Why? To maybe save the kids life.

This vaccine is also to maybe save a womans life. I was 15 when I had cervical cancer, Luckily I went behind my parents back to be put on birth control because I was sexually active, had I not done so, I could/would be dead. No young girl should have to go through that, by making the vaccine mandatory, insurance companies HAVE to cover the cost of it and It HAS to be offered in free clinics to the poor.

You can get out of the Autism causing vaccines with and affidavit as well. I don't think it should be that way, but I am thrilled it is mandatory so that it is covered by insurance and available to ever one..

9:34 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

THat ok Deb. I dont expect everyone to agree with me....

And I'm not saying down the road, should long term effects prove safe, I wouldnt get it for sarah.

But at this jucture: with the influence peddling, the rush to mandatory, and long term effects unknow(it hasnt been out even a YEAR yet), its a deal breaker.

And darling? MMR havent been proven to show it. I know what your talking about. It ISNT the vaccine that has the possiblity to trigger the Autism....its the mercury base perservative that the vaccine is held in. You can ask for a non-mercuray based vaccine. In fact the CDC I believe is moving away from mercury base into something else....I wonder why?

Furthermore, I hope Ladygamer pips in...she had cervical cancer too and does NOT want this in her kids...as mandatory.

Its only great if you have insurance dear....which I believe is the whole point of why the drug company is pushing it. More money in the bottom line....

9:43 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger Deb said...

Carm I know that it isn't the vaccine I know it is the mercury based perservative, it is typically the MMR shot that makes it show up becuase of the size of the vaccine, it carries the most perservative. Just didn't feel like typing it all out.

I am smart on some things, believe it or not, on others I am a complete ding dong! :)

10:31 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Never thought you were stupid Deb.....so apolgies if you think I impied it.

Granted your losing brain cells now being pregnant.....*grin*

But seriously, you can get any of the vaccines in a non-mercury based form...

10:42 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger Deb said...

I learned something new from you, I never knew you could get them in non mercury based form. All I know is how it was 10 years ago with my Ex step-son. His birth mother refused to vaccinate her next 2 because of it.

Oh I know you don't think I am stupid! If you thought it you would say it!

10:52 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Yup, if I thought you were, I'd let you know....

Yes, yes you can. Its a recent thing, but dont ask me how longt it sbeen available.

Your doctor may look at you funny and roll their eyes...but it is available.

Your welcome!

11:46 AM, February 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm also in Texas...and not happy about this either. I just don't like the idea for ANY type of shot to be MANDATORY. That's invading on MY parenting space...and that doesn't fly with me. I'll be interested to see where this matter goes from here.

5:49 PM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

I hear you anna. I wouldnt want any governmental interference with my parental duties....

Keep us informed how it goes over there. I'm really suprised it wasnt CA or my NY first...

6:33 PM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger Nikki said...

I heard about this. I'm glad we don't live down that way. I don't like the new shots they come out with being mandatory when the long term effects aren't know.

Like the chickenpox shot. They made that bad boy mandatory with a quickness. I did everything but rub my daughter up against someone with it so she would get it...but she never did, and I had to get the shot for her....and now my son.

I just hate that.

And I had absolutely no clue the MMR shots are proven to bring on the onset of autism. OMG. I never knew.

1:56 PM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Nikki:

MMR: first, calm down. "proven" is a bit too strong of a word. Its not technicaly proven at all. Its suspected by more than a few folks, but the CDC says no. But to be honest it makes sense: your told not to eat fish with mercury in it....so exactly why are we injecting higher doses of it into kids in the MMR preservative? And why are we moving away from it now?

I hear you on the chicken pox one too. We were NOT going to get it, but the damned schools made it mandatory...and since you have to send your kid to school....and the fact it wears off in 20 years so god help your daughter if their pregnant later in life.....and its not a guarenteed to work....So why are we doing it again?

Too much of a rush.....

4:00 PM, February 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home