Thursday, February 08, 2007

Texas PSA update

Figure I throw down some more facts as a friend of mine pointed out:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some HPV facts: "Most women with HPV infection do not get cervical cancer. Doctors believe other factors must come into play for this cancer to develop. Some of these factors are smoking, HIV infection, Chlamydia infection, diet, long-term use of birth control pills, multiple pregnancies, low income, mothers who took hormonal drug DES, and family history. These are not typical risk factors affecting junior high girls.

A large percent of the population already has the virus, and there is no research saying that the vaccine will prevent cancer. According to the National Institutes of Health National Cancer institute, in more than 90% of the cases, HPV infections are harmless and go away without treatment. The CDC says there are more than 100 strains or types of HPV and over 30 strains are sexually transmitted.

Yet the vaccine under consideration for mandate covers only 4 strains. About 30% of cervical cancers can’t be prevented by the vaccine, so women will still need regular cervical cancer screenings.

The only current vaccine manufacturer for the HPV vaccine, Merck, admits on their package insert that the [b]duration of immunity from the vaccine is unknown.[b] In clinical trials, the vaccine’s effectiveness was only followed for 4 years. Yet we do know from the CDC that the incubation period for the HPV virus is about 20 years and the median age of women diagnosed with cervical cancer is 48. Therefore, no claims to proof of cervical cancer prevention by vaccinating preteen girls should be made." TLC www.texlife.org
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So ladies of the jury, what can we conclude? We have a drug that only affects 4% of the HPV, anapparentlyly will NOT cover most cervical cancer issuses as claimed. FURTHERMORE, the manufacturer admits on its own PACKAGING, that idoesn'tnt know how long the immunity lasts(shock ansurprisese since its only been out a year), and gee, most cervical cancer happens later in life, WELL past the high school age.

This is a BAD idea. No, scratch that, this is a fucking HORRIBLE idea. I might have been on the fence before about it...But now there is no way my kid(s) would get this vaccine.

Good luck you ladies in Texas. Apparantly they do make things bigger in TX, including stupidity.

19 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

I still think it is a good idea. It lowers your chance of getting cervical cancer. It prevents you from getting 4% of the HPV virus, the 4% is part of the 30% that cause cancer. If you don't get HPV then in 20 years you still don't have HPV and your chance is lowered to having cancer.

That is how I see it anyway. It isn't a cure for cancer, but you know what it is a step in the direction of prevention and I am for that.

Not all people in Texas are stupid, sure there are a great many that are, I mean shit we still let mexicans wander across our border and take our jobs here making us the minority!

9:29 AM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Baby Steps said...

but carmen 4% is 4% when you are talking about cancer. I have two friends with cancer, one with this very cancer, both i know would have taken that 4% if it was offered to them. To late for my friend with this cancer, she had to have a hysterectomy , no more kids for her. While I do agree that they should do more test before making it mandated, they definitely should educate parents on this drug and make it available if desired.

9:33 AM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Deb and Baby:

Prove it.

See the problem is you cant. You dont know how long the vaccine lasts, because the manufactures dont know. You're giving it to teens who's chances are slim to none....in the hopes it will save them later in life. Yet when does the median age happen? Much later in life(on average).

Given the fact the manufacturer doesnt know how long it lasts, how can you be sure its safe? Because they havent studied the long term effects apparantly....

It needs more time and study before you jump to mandatory to stick it into kids...

9:41 AM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Deb said...

Carm all I am saying is this, HPV is sexually transmitted. When are people most likely to be unprotected sexually?? In there teenage years. So if you have the vaccine then, and you are smart later (which most people are) then you are lowered in chance by 4%.

That is all I am saying. Girls are more sexually promiscuous when they are younger and looking for acceptance.

10:17 AM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

You lower it by 4%, what risks are you increasing other problems by? And for how long? And for how long are you safe FOR?

What? No one knows becuase that part of the research in is incomplete? But you want it mandatory? Uh huh...sell me another bridge.

I'm not trying to be an ass to you Deb, but think: you freaked out a bit with the not quite proven idea of autism and MMR......but your ok with this one and its unknowns?

You might be curing a 4% chance and giving them a greater one elsewhere. Or a false sense of security when this runs out....which is....? What, no one knows?

10:34 AM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Deb said...

Who knows Carm...but I do know this, there are positives and negatives in every situation. You have to decide if the positive out weighs the risk....

If you don't want the vaccine then don't take it. It is just like any other vaccine, you don't have to have them to go to public schools, there are ways around it.

11:16 AM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Fair enough there Deb...

3:58 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Nicole said...

I am still not sure what to think about this. We ARE in Texas and my oldest will the first round of girls to get this in 2008. I totally do not want her to do this, but my husband doesn't see the problem. He thinks that one more immunization is not going to hurt anything. I really just don't know. Just the honest truth.

6:33 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Nicole:

Obviously I dont have a vote for your family, but we generally have a rule that something kid important is all or nothing. Either we both agree or its a no go.

Does your husband have all the facts, many as I pointed out? Or is he just saying "eh, its just another shot" without knowing all there is?

If it makes you uneasy....dont do it. But thats just me.....

6:39 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

Hmmmm...I don't have all the facts, so I'm not going to speak out on this one. I don't think it's very nice to say they make stupidity bigger in Texas, Mr. Carm.

10:50 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

Hey you doody head! You joked about my posts on Q of M's site!

11:00 PM, February 08, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

If your going to be a bunch of braggards about everything being bigger in texas dear, that includes the bad as well as the good.....

I suggest you get the facts and look into this, seriously.


Yes, yes I did joke about your posts on Q of M's site. What are you going to do about it?

7:36 AM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

Does this strike such an important chord with you because of your daughter? Or, is it more the corporate gain (greed) angle? While I am against government imposing their will upon me as a parent, I am not sure I am opposed to something that might prevent my daughter from getting cancer. Then again, I would want that to be MY decision!

1:50 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Yes. pretty much both its my daughter and its corporate greed.

I had the same problem with Chicken pox, but there was less to do about it.

THIS,we can do.

Look, I have no problem if Deb or Baby steps want to get it for their daughters. Their the parents, their rules.

But I RESENT the fact that in the face of buying the government, and unknown side effects, unknown diration and a whole other list of stuff, I have to JUSTIFY why I dont want the drug, with a legal document?

WTF?!?!

You want it for you daughter QoM, and even though I laid out all the evidence as to why this is a bad idea, if you want it for your kid, go for it.

*I* want the same curtesy.

8:16 PM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Queen of the Mayhem said...

Scary as this might sound, I agree with you! You should be able to choose whether or not your daughter has this shot.


So, you don't like the new blog as much! I thought it was a vision into what my life will be after I become a celebrity! Hey, it could happen! :)

8:20 AM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

See? You all agree with me sooner or later....

I dont dilike the new look, its pretty and all, but like Jenn's its VERY busy....and sorta detracts from reading the post....

But as long as you like it....who cares what I think. Its your blog after all....*grin*

8:22 AM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Just came by to see if there was an update...
uh... nope! It is quite fun to read the comments as well...

4:33 PM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Its an update of sorts....I have a friend in texas with FOUR girls who is very up to date on it.....and will consider moving out of state should it come to pass(not her only reason...but this be the straw the broke the camel, so to speak)...

When I know more, you'll know more terri...

5:39 PM, February 10, 2007  
Blogger carmachu said...

Not a suprise at all there Sandy...

8:09 PM, February 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home